Published On: 13-Mar-2019
GEN is celebrating 25 years of protecting the planet by improving, promoting and developing the ecolabelling of green products and sustainable services. Although some of our members are much older (the Blue Angel celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2018) we have much to celebrate.
- The Global Ecolabelling Network was formally established in Stockholm in November 1994 to improve the effectiveness of ecolabelling on an international level through the transfer of experience and technical information. There were 14 members as of October 1996: Austria, Brazil, Canada, Chinese Taipei, Croatia, Greece, Israel, Japan, Luxembourg, Norway, Spain, Sweden, UK and the USA.
- The GEN website and the first GENews was launched in October 1996. GEN was on an expert group of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to develop a discipline for ecolabelling and trade—reported in the first GENews, October 1996—and to this day GEN continues to engage with UNEP.
- The first attempt to demonstrate a common, world-wide criteria among GEN members was about batteries and was undertaken in 1996.
- In 2004 a formal member peer review process, the GEN International Coordinated Ecolabelling System (GENICES) was adopted to benchmark full member programs.
- Check out the historical timeline on our website and check back for activities as we celebrate throughout the year. Look for a commemorative edition of the GEN Magazine at year’s end.
For GEN members we will be providing the following:
- Customizable digital Thank You card
- Press release template and talking points
- Special celebration event at the 2019 AGM in China